Click here to monitor SSC

SQL Server and Subversion

Last post 08-17-2011, 3:33 AM by hermandez. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-16-2006, 5:03 AM Post number 1675

• Ken3 is not online. Last active: 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM Ken3
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2006
    • Level 1: Deep thought

SQL Server and Subversion

Has anyone used SQL Server with Subversion source-control? Are there any problems with it?
  •  08-18-2006, 10:30 AM Post number 1759 in reply to post number 1675

Re: SQL Server and Subversion

What are you doing with source control in subversion. I've never used subversion but hey I can be as opinionated as the next man. We use vault here and store snapshots of the database structure and migration scripts. Then I can use a little utility I've written called Scream which you can find on my blog to compare the snapshots just so I have an idea what has changed from version to verison.

HTH Although if you say more about what you're after maybe I can be of more help.
  •  08-18-2006, 10:39 AM Post number 1760 in reply to post number 1759

I'm using Subversion on two projects right now.  It's easily the best source control package I've ever used (although I haven't used too many -- CVS, VSS, Vault very briefly, and a couple of others just for quick tests).  Anyway, Subversion seems really solid, it's quite fast, and has lots of 3rd-party plugins.  And of course, it's free ;-)

I have not tried plugging it into SSMS, as I prefer working from Explorer.  I use the TortoiseSVN shell extension and it works great...

•  08-18-2006, 10:48 AM Post number 1761 in reply to post number 1760

Update...

I just tried plugging it into SSMS using this thing, and it (SSMS) gave me an error saying that I couldn't use that source control provider.  No clue what's going on there, and I'm not going to try to debug it... but it doesn't seem to work too well :(
  •  08-18-2006, 11:18 AM Post number 1762 in reply to post number 1761

... and another update!  I tried again, using this one.  Got SSMS to accept it, and things seemed to be going well until I created a project and it got into some weird checkout loop.  I hit cancel about 10 times and it exited, so I created a file and tried to check it in... Error messages galore, and yet another checkout loop!  I don't think the provider has properly informed SSMS that you don't check things out in Subversion, and SSMS really wants to check things out... So, another failure.  Any other providers out there?
  •  08-19-2006, 7:13 AM Post number 1768 in reply to post number 1675

I've never tried any level of integration with the IDE, and it is an intriguing idea. However, if you are merely putting build scripts into subversion, it is very simple to do it by hand using TortoiseSVN. After all, this is generally the only requirement, unless you have several people working concurrently on the same database, at which point I'd advise saving each database object separately.

I'd like to get around to a more automated system, but in the meantime the discipline of adding a comment as to why you've made the change is a good one. and TortoiseSVN is such a good product.

I started off hating Subversion but the recent improvements, including an automated Windows install, has made it a good choice for Source-control.

•  10-11-2009, 5:33 AM Post number 75272 in reply to post number 1675

Hi,
    It depends on what do you mean for SQL Server with Subversion. You can use a SQL Management Studio, create a database project and put it under subversion or create an automatic process that script the database objects periodically and put this scripts under Subversion.
    In my company we are using the second one because it doesn't affect the way the developers work.
    If you like I written a small article that explain quickly how to do this:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/SQLScripter.aspx

Cheers,
    Gabriele
  •  11-02-2009, 11:41 AM Post number 75961 in reply to post number 1675

We use SV integrated with Red-Gate schema compare product. Professional edition of Red-Gate Schema Compare allows database scripting into a folder with files. Each code branch in SV also has it's own development database as well as the SV repository.
    After all merging is done into the dev trunk (maintenance branch),  we use Red Gate to generate the script in order to make the INT database identical to the SV tag being deployed.
  •  01-07-2011, 2:39 PM Post number 97840 in reply to post number 75961

We have Red Gate and Tortoise. I'm trying to set up the initial repository. How do you do it?
  •  01-12-2011, 9:18 AM Post number 98600 in reply to post number 97840

How far have you got? Have you created a blank folder in Subversion yet? If so, visit the SQL Source Control Setup tab, and input the location of the folder into the textfield to link a new database to source control.
    @DTAbase
  •  03-25-2011, 8:27 PM Post number 100978 in reply to post number 1675

Hi,
    I have all my databases stored on either subversion or TFS depending on the project.

What I use is the Visual Studio Database Project and this is the one that is stored on the version control tool. With this project you can schema/data compare any database with the project (bi-directionally) to either update the project or database schema.

It's pretty powerful.
  •  03-31-2011, 10:27 AM Post number 101031 in reply to post number 1675

you might want to try 'Randolph'. great tool and highly recommended
  •  08-17-2011, 3:33 AM Post number 102845 in reply to post number 1675

I'm using Subversion on two projects right now.  It's easily the best source control package I've ever used (although I haven't used too many -- CVS, VSS, Vault very briefly, and a couple of others just for quick tests).  Anyway, Subversion seems really solid, it's quite fast, and has lots of 3rd-party plugins.
View as RSS news feed in XML