Click here to monitor SSC

'A Developers guide to SQL Server 2005' by Beauchemin and Sullivan

Last post 05-13-2011, 6:35 PM by Celulas Madre. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-02-2006, 4:20 PM Post number 1517

'A Developers guide to SQL Server 2005' by Beauchemin and Sullivan

A Developers guide to SQL Server 2005

Bob Beauchemin and Dan SullivanAddison Wesley

I suspect that this is one of the best of the technical books on SQL Server 2005. The scope of SQL Server 2005 is now so wide that it is becoming difficult to really understand what is there. All the authors can do is to give the broad overview, to paint the whole panorama.

I suspect that, in ten years time, we will look back at SQL Server 2005 as the high-point in our faith in XML as a means of promoting interoperability between different systems. This integration and use of XML in the product is extremely impressive, and is explained well. The CLR, and the way it was implemented is described in some detail, and it is hard not to cheer at the design goals. It surely must result in a more resilient system. There are a number of fascinating sections that give a clue to the use of a SQL server as a hub, or coordinator to a distributed system as well as being a database/data processor. Service Broking, messaging, notification services and so on are powerful tools and give the clue to the way large corporate applications will develop over the next five years. Some of SQL Server 2005's most powerful features are hidden well away from the marketing-men's bullet-points.

It is comforting to a died-in-the-wool TSQL man that there are so many improvements to the language. The improved error handling by itself makes the hassle of upgrading worth while. This book covers all the details

If I have a criticism of the book, it is that the editors have dozed off in places. There are sections where the sentence structure relapses into a soporific remorseless 'subject-verb-object 'drone which is intensely soporific to the reader. I do not blame the authors who are locked in a different struggle; that of making sure they have covered the ground and explained everything accurately. Technical publishers must remember they have to engage with slightly bored readers who would much rather be in the pub, and the writing style needs a freshness and interest.

•  08-17-2006, 3:51 AM Post number 1711 in reply to post number 1517

Re: 'A Developers guide to SQL Server 2005' by Beauchemin and Sullivan

Although the contents are great, I have a complaint about this book.

To allow users to get at the source-code examples of most books, they are placed on a website. With this book, the publishers have made the text of the examples small and grey so they have to be inspected under a magnifying glass. (was this done to prevent OCR?)  Then, to try them out, or to view them in any comfort, you have to sign up for a  trial of an on-line bookshop that has either the whole source or chapter samples, or just a paragraph or two of a whole lot of books. You are supposed to pad through the book to get to the code sample you want, but it only allows you to scroll through page-by-page as far as I can see. I wouldn't mind that so much but the access is time-bombed. It expires after 45 days, so once you've used up your free subscription, you can't get to the source-code of the book examples.

This strikes me as being a ridiculous way for a respected publisher to behave. Other publishers can make code samples available on the internet, or tuck them into a CDROM. Why not Addison Wesley?

•  08-17-2006, 10:28 AM Post number 1723 in reply to post number 1711

• bobb is not online. Last active: 11-24-2012, 3:46 AM bobb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-17-2006
    • Level 1: Deep thought

Hi Andrew,

The link to the book samples should be in the preface of the book. You shouldn't have to sign up for anything. Which online bookshop did you sign up for, I'm curious... I didn't authorize anyone (that I'm aware of) to reprint the book and distribute the sample code.

http://www.sqlskills.com/books.asp - Look under "Book sample code".

Cheers, Bob Beauchemin

•  08-17-2006, 12:11 PM Post number 1729 in reply to post number 1723

Thanks Bob,

I've now downloaded the code samples and they are just what I want. It has made all the difference to the reader-experience.

What happened was this. I wanted to try out all the code samples (I find I learn best by doing!) and I searched all through the book for the url. Couldn't find it anywhere. There on the first, as well as the final page, was this thing about the book being 'Safari-Enabled', in which we get 45 days access to the online edition via this Safari online bookshop. They give you a URL which you have to type in, fill in a form etc.....

The sign-in was very laborious. We have to type in a code from the start of the book, and then look for the last word in one of the chapters to type in. We have to give our personal details. Chrissakes, all I wanted are the code samples. Then, it seems we only get 45 days access to the online version of the book, following which we have to become members of Safari.

I've now discovered the URL for the code samples on the second page of the preface. Therefore my apologies for misunderstanding. And a warning to other readers not to make the same mistake I did in signing up to Safari.

•  08-17-2006, 12:22 PM Post number 1731 in reply to post number 1729

Just to be fair, I wouldn't say that signing up for Safari is a "mistake"; you should give it a chance.  I've been using the site for the last two years or so, and I think it's quite a nice tool!  If I am in the middle of a project and need a quick lookup of something I don't know -- and I don't want to buy a full $50 book and wait for it to get shipped (or drag myself to the bookstore) -- I can put the book onto my Safari bookshelf, get whatever content I need, and finish up the project, instantly.  It's certainly no substitute for dead tree books and downloadable code samples/CDs, but in my opinion it's a wonderful service.

•  08-17-2006, 1:06 PM Post number 1734 in reply to post number 1731

I tend to read my books in strange places such as the bath and in bed, or in the garden, so online access aint much good to me. Besides I like real paper books. As I'm just a short distance from Cambridge (the UK one), I prefer to binge on Technical books in one of the wonderful Cambridge bookshops, or libraries. Perhaps, after your recommendation, I'll try Safari again, but my mistake was signing up to try to get the code samples from the book.

•  09-22-2006, 12:44 PM Post number 2186 in reply to post number 1734

Safari are now about to take away my online access to the book. A siren Email has just arrived in my inbox....
    'How time flies! This note is just a reminder that your complimentary online access to A Developer's Guide to SQL Server 2005 through Safari Bookshelf will expire in seven days.

If you haven't already discovered the power of Safari, log in today for complete online access to your book. You can also preview more than 2,000 of other technical books within the Safari library. Explore how Safari can instantly pinpoint solutions to your tech problems and delivers results far more efficiently than wading through piles of print books and articles.'
    there follows a soothing message that attempts to persuade me to get out my credit-card. As they don't actually tell me how much it is going to cost, I am deeply suspicious and resentful. Goddam it I have shelled out $59.99 for this book. It was probably the most expensive paperback I've ever bought and now the damned publishers want me to open the wallet again. Thank goodness for nice Mr Beauchemin. If it wasn't for his intervention I would be a very angry man at this point. I hope the publishers feel a twinge of guilt over their dishonest tactics.
  •  03-14-2011, 8:44 PM Post number 100798 in reply to post number 1517

The sign-in was very laborious. We have to type in a code from the start of the book, and then look for the last word in one of the chapters to type in. We have to give our personal details. Chrissakes, all I wanted are the code samples. Then, it seems we only get 45 days access to the online version of the book, following which we have to become members of Safari.
  •  05-13-2011, 6:35 PM Post number 101573 in reply to post number 1729

I'm with you.
View as RSS news feed in XML